Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Prophecy Fellowship! This message board is dedicated to the glorification of Christ Jesus and the edification of Christians through study and discussion of prophecy and life from a scriptural perspective.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
UMC Minnesota Conference Edited 'Father' Out of the Apostles’ Creed
Topic Started: June 7, 2018, 3:21 pm (126 Views)
M. Hawbaker
Member Avatar

At a recent multi-day conference, the Minnesota Conference of the United Methodist Church used an edited version of the Apostles’ Creed which removed a reference to God as “Father.” When the conference handed out liturgical folders for a worship service, Rev. Keith Mcilwain noticed the change to the historic creed.

Throughout Christian history, churches have recited the creed, which confesses, “I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth. The edited version read, “I believe in God, the Creator Almighty, creator of heaven and earth.”

This move by the Minnesota Conference comes as many denominations are rethinking the way they refer to God, seeing the language as too restrictive. The UMC has been engaged in a discussion about how to use more gender-inclusive language since the 1980’s.

https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/scott-slayton/umc-minnesota-conference-edited-father-out-of-the-apostles-creed.html
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cricket55
Member Avatar

:censored
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

barb43
Member Avatar
Wish Martha Stewart was My Sister!
I left the UMC shortly after they decided to stop singing hymns that contained lines about the blood of Jesus, saying that was too grisly and gory an didn't put forth the loving relationships they wanted in their denomination. :ohno

A couple of my favorites:

"what can wash away my sin, nothing but the blood of Jesus. what can make me whole again, nothing but the blood of Jesus. O precious is the flow that makes me white as snow. No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus..."

"There is power, power, wonder working power
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is power, power, wonder working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb."

. . . . btw, our boys really got into "there is POW'R! POW'R! wonder-working pow'r" to the point that I occasionally told them to tone it down a little because they were punching their hands and shouting that word. I know that was thanks to their Sunday School teacher. :heh
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

M. Hawbaker
Member Avatar

barb43
June 9, 2018, 12:11 pm
A couple of my favorites:

"what can wash away my sin, nothing but the blood of Jesus. what can make me whole again, nothing but the blood of Jesus. O precious is the flow that makes me white as snow. No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus..."

"There is power, power, wonder working power
In the blood of the Lamb;
There is power, power, wonder working power
In the precious blood of the Lamb."

Yes, I remember those from the church we attended when I was a child. So few of those powerful old hymns seem to be used anymore even in the more conservative denominations.

Another favorite of mine that I hardly ever hear anymore is "There is a Fountain":

There is a fountain filled with blood
Drawn from Immanuel's veins
And sinners plunged beneath that flood
Lose all their guilty stains
And sinners plunged beneath that flood

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cricket55
Member Avatar

Love the old hymns.