Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Prophecy Fellowship! This message board is dedicated to the glorification of Christ Jesus and the edification of Christians through study and discussion of prophecy and life from a scriptural perspective.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New York Times Article Commends Lying in Children
Topic Started: January 12, 2018, 12:18 pm (283 Views)
M. Hawbaker
Member Avatar

Last week, The New York Times published an article that had the headline, “Is Your Child Lying to You? That’s Good.”

In the article itself, Alex Stone pushes back against the assumption that a child’s habit of lying should trouble parents. “We believe honesty is a moral imperative,” he writes, “and we try to instill this belief in our children.” But, according to Stone, research tells us that “[l]ying is not only normal; it’s also a sign of intelligence.” As a result, parents should be pleased when their children start lying to them. He even suggests that the younger the child is when they start lying, the better.

https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/leah-hickman/new-york-times-article-commends-lying-in-children.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

M. Hawbaker
Member Avatar

The original Times article can be found here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/05/opinion/sunday/children-lying-intelligence.html

barb43
Member Avatar
Wish Martha Stewart was My Sister!
Quote:

The psychologist Kang Lee, who has been researching deception in children for more than two decades, likes to tell parents that if they discover their child lying at age 2 or 3, they should celebrate. But if your child is lagging behind, don’t worry: You can speed up the process. Training children in executive functioning and theory of mind using a variety of interactive games and role-playing exercises can turn truth-tellers into liars within weeks, Professor Lee has found.
This almost sounds like a sitcom episode, ala Dick Van Dyke, and the whole cast.

Getting to the bottom of the article, you get to the bottom of this disgusting idea that lying is a good thing when it's shown that you can pay kids as young as 5 or 6 to be honest, and they will be; i.e., honesty has a price.

I really do believe in being honest. Yes, our boys probably lied to us a few times, but at least with ds Michael, he took it to heart when I told him not to ever lie to me because the lie would be found out and he'd not only be in trouble for whatever he'd done, but he'd be in even more trouble for lying to me about it. I just don't buy the results in this article - if they are true, it's not a good thing, imo. :tsk

What do y'all think? And if you agree with this professor, that's okay, just make the case for how this could be a good thing - ?

Edited by barb43, January 12, 2018, 11:41 pm.

M. Hawbaker
Member Avatar

I see it as just another modern example of Isaiah 5:20 - "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

barb43
Member Avatar
Wish Martha Stewart was My Sister!
M. Hawbaker
January 13, 2018, 6:15 am
I see it as just another modern example of Isaiah 5:20 - "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."
:thumb There it is! Thanks, Mel!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · News Unrelated to Prophecy · Next Topic »
Add Reply